Sat, May 06|
Open Studio For New Printmakers
New printmakers are invited to join us on the first Saturday of each month for a fun-filled day of printmaking. Learn from each other and share ideas!
Time & Location
May 06, 2023, 11:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. PDT
Ladysmith, 444 Parkhill Terrace, Ladysmith, BC V9G 1V6, Canada
About the Event
Printmaking Studio Time
We are offering open print studio time on the first Saturday of the month for those who have recently taken a printmaking workshop/class with us within the past 4 months of the studio date listed. Space is limited, so booking online is required. Please read prerequisites to make sure you are eligible.
- You are a beginner printmaker
- You have completed the safety training and studio overview tour within the last 4 months of the studio date you have registered for.
- Received and reviewed with print shop coordinator handouts for procedures of the print studio.
- You have taken at least one printmaking workshop or class at the Ladysmith Waterfront Gallery within the past 4 months of the studio date you are registering for. This can include printmaking using the big press or our gelli plate workshops.
How open studio time works:
- Offered on the first Saturday of each month, booking a spot is mandatory
- This is a non toxic print studio, please do not bring in solvents etc.
- Open studio time starts at 11 AM
- Check in with the printmaking coordinator
- Participants can work during this supervised time. The printmaking coordinator will be on hand to answer any questions and to supervise work going through the press to make sure it won’t damage the equipment.
- Participants are required to clean up after themselves
- Open studio ends at 4 PM
What is provided:
- Access to the printing press
- Akua Intaglio Inks
- Some assorted print studio tools
What is not provided:
- Printmaking plate
- Printmaking paper
There are no upcoming printmaking workshops or classes for me to take in order to meet the requirements of open studio. Are there exceptions that can be made?
Yes – if the Arts Council is not offering any printmaking workshops or classes, we can complete your safety training and studio overview tour during an open studio session. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know if this is your situation so we can let the printmaking coordinator know so they can plan accordingly.
Do you have supplies I can use before committing to purchasing my own items?
We will have some plexi glass plates and printmaking paper available if you are booking an open studio print session for the first time and are looking to see what materials you might wish to purchase on your own. You must email email@example.com 5 days prior to your booked open studio time to arrange this. Please note you are borrowing the plexi glass plates and will not be allowed to make permanent marks on the plate(example: drypoint).
I am an experienced printmaker, can I book a spot for these open studio sessions?
These Saturday open studio sessions are designed for new printmakers only. We do have experienced printmaker open studios on Mondays and Fridays. Bookings are required for these sessions. For more information, contact Dorothy Friesen at firstname.lastname@example.org