Fri, May 13|
Expand Your Creative Practice with Colour Contrast
Paint with celebrated artist Dominik Modlinski and produce bold, colourful works with strong colour contrast choices.
Time & Location
May 13, 2022, 9:30 a.m. PDT – May 15, 2022, 4:00 p.m. PDT
Ladysmith, 444 Parkhill Terrace, Ladysmith, BC V9G 1V6, Canada
About the Event
This three-day painting workshop with celebrated landscape artist Dominik Modlinski is designed for experienced artists who wish to develop their application of colour theory to create expressive and engaging works. Participants are welcome to use either oil or acrylic paint, and Dominik will address the principals of colour ratios and colour contrasts. He will demonstrate how each colour contrast is unique in character and effect, and he will include considerations for structure using shape, value, edges and center of interest.
The aim of this workshop is to inspire participants to produce bold and colourful works using strong colour contrast choices throughout the creative process. All who attend will be able to apply the lessons learned to their own style, and each participant will work on creating their own studio painting, with reference material provided by Dominik.
Recommended Materials List:
- A free-standing easel
- A palette (your preference: disposable wax, glass, plastic, or wood)
- Medium (walnut oil or Galkyd medium for oil painters; polymer medium for acrylic painters)
- Non-toxic Turpenoid or Gamsol (for oil paintbrush cleaning indoors)
- Paints for Workshop Day 1 (150 ml tubes): Titanium White, Cadmium Yellow Lemon, Quinacridone Red, Phthalo Blue Green
- Paints for Workshop Days 2 and 3: Bring your favourites! Dominik suggests Titanium White, Cadmium Yellow Lemon, Cadmium Yellow Deep, Yellow Ochre, Cadmium Orange, Cadmium Red Light, Cadmium Red Deep, Quinacridone Red, Alizarin Crimson, Burnt Umber, Burt Sienna, Viridian Green, Sap Green, Phthalo Green Blue, Phthalo Green Yellow, Phthalo Blue Green, Ultramarine Blue, Cerulean Blue, Phthalo Turquoise, Dioxazine Violet
- Suitable brushes: bristle filbert, flat brushes, round bristle brushes, dagger brushes
- Palette knife
- Conte pencil
- Supports (canvases, boards, etc.) for Workshop Day 1: 10 primed surfaces for colour exercises, 12 x 16 inches or bigger (options: masonite, PDF, or canvas boards; or, heavy paper primed with Gesso)
- Supports (canvases, boards, etc.) for Workshops Days 2 and 3: Choose the size and support you are comfortable working with to complete a painting in two days. Recommended size range: 12 x 16 inches to 18 x 24 inches; Recommended supports: stretched canvas, Gessoed board, canvas board, or Arches oil paper