Sat, Nov 04|
Colour Contrast Theory
Paint with celebrated artist Dominik Modlinski and develop your skills to produce bold, colourful works with strong colour contrast choices.
Time & Location
Nov 04, 2023, 9:30 a.m. PDT – Nov 05, 2023, 4:00 p.m. PST
Ladysmith, 444 Parkhill Terrace, Ladysmith, BC V9G 1V6, Canada
About the Event
This two-day painting workshop with celebrated landscape artist Dominik Modlinski is designed for beginner and intermediate artists who wish to develop their knowledge of colour theory in order to create expressive and engaging works. Participants are welcome to use either oil or acrylic paint, and Dominik will address the principals of colour ratios and colour contrasts. He will demonstrate how each colour contrast is unique in character and effect, and emphasize the economy of brush movements to keep colours clean and saturated while traveling from one hue to another.
The aim of this workshop is to inspire participants to produce bold and colourful works using strong colour contrast choices throughout the creative process. All who attend will be able to try out concepts on a project under the guidance of Dominik, and can go on to apply the lessons learned to their own style. Participants will leave the workshop with a collection of colour theory exercise charts to display in their own creative space for quick reference.
Recommended Materials List:
- A palette (your preference: disposable wax, glass, or plastic)
- Medium (walnut oil for oil painters; polymer medium for acrylic painters)
- Non-toxic Turpenoid or Gamsol (for oil paintbrush cleaning indoors)
- Paints (2 x 40 ml tubes of each): Titanium White, Cadmium Yellow Lemon, Quinacridone Red, Phthalo Blue. We will use a lot of paint during our exercises. If you can, try to bring professional-quality paints for optimal colour quantity and intensity.
- Suitable brushes: bristle filbert, flat brushes
- Palette knife
- Green masking tape
- Exacto knife
- Sealed box for used acrylic pallet
- Painting Surfaces: 20 primed surfaces for colour exercises, 12 x 16 inches or bigger (options: hardboard, MDF board, canvas board, Arches Oil Paper, or heavy drawing paper primed in advance of class with Gesso)
- Ticket type